Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Performance Testing with Visual Studio 2008

I'm back at the controls of Visual Studio Team Test edition (2008 this time, woo hoo) loading and running performance tests against some software I'm developing. This time round I am doing basic analysis to see where potential bottlenecks lie, and to spot any memory issues whilst there is still plenty of time to fix these.

However, I had some difficulty getting my tests recorded - turns out there are a few things you need to bear in mind if your test client is Windows 7, Server 2008 or Vista, mainly around the enhanced security configuration (Server 2008) and IE security. Basically, if during your test you switch from one internet "zone" to another - for example, from "about:blank" to an actual website - then IE will kill the original iexplore process and launch a new one. Very secure, but it kills the ability to record web tests until you sort it out.

I found a great blog site run by Michael Taute that lists pretty much all the reasons why this behaviour can happen, and what to do about it. In my case I switched off the enhanced security configuration for administrators, and added "about:blank" to the same internet "zone" as the site I was testing.

See Michael's blog page for the full list of issues and fixes.

Oh, and if, like me, you're an idiot, you'll find your load test doesn't work if you don't create the load test database before you start. There are a few steps to remember before you start testing, as detailed by Travis Lingenfelder.

10 comments:

  1. Anonymous10:46 AM

    Professional matchmaking services in UK (twitter.com) ... [Tech] FreedomPop brings its free mobile phone service to the UK.The salon supplies and its new features are surprising, cutting-edge and truly useful enhancements.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Bar mitzvah kippot and kippot for bat mitzvah fondly reminds Jewish men and women of the day they became a part of their Jewish congregations.Thanks for the nice information. I am sure, I will tweet this to my twitter account. This will help a lot of users.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Really inspirational to hear someone pursuing their dreams and becoming successful instead of following the traditional path. I have read your article about real estate. I think it's good and impressed to know your service. Thanks for share this Information. Online Shopping for Electronics Gadgets Online shopping for electronics, magazines, music, DVDs, videos, computers, software, shoes, jewelry, hardware, house wares, furniture, sporting goods just about anything else.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This article is pretty interesting since there is so many useful information inside. We need more similar info on a daily basis. Hope you'll regularly update this web in the future. Thank you. Dc comics action figures Dc comics action figures Designer Series 1 Talon Action Figure by Craziest Prices.com. We pick many more greatest Dc superheroes from extensive library.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The post is created in especially a not too bad way and it includes much profitable information for me. I am happy to find your perceived strategy for creating the post.This was a really uncommon test and in a perfect world I can go to the accompanying one. It was alot of fun and I genuinely had a great time.
    Certified speech language pathologist

    ReplyDelete
  6. this post will be adequately Just about everything looks amazing showed a commitment of thankfulness is all together to share.
    Certified speech language pathologist

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really like and appreciate your blog post, thanks again. Want some more stuff.
    My Room Rent

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really like and appreciate your blog post, thanks again. Want some more stuff.
    Room on rent

    ReplyDelete
  9. I really like and appreciate your blog post, thanks again. Want some more stuff.
    Room on rent

    ReplyDelete
  10. We need more info like this on a daily basis. Hope you'll regularly update this web in the future. This article is pretty interesting since there's so many useful info inside. Thank you.

    Accounting and inventory control software

    ReplyDelete